In our crazy life, we pack a lot of lunches for the whole family to take on the road… kid’s ballgames, field trips, etc. We get bored of regular cold sandwiches pretty quickly. However, this huge sandwich is a family favorite! My kids dubbed it “THE” Sandwich years ago, because it is the sandwich to end all sandwiches! I actually make 2 or 3 of them for a meal, which we then slice into individual sandwiches. This recipe is written for 2 sandwiches, which when sliced makes 12 sandwiches…follow me? The bread pictured here is Italian, purchased at a Kroger store. French bread also works. It’s best served warm, but it’s also good cold. Serve with lettuce, sliced tomatoes and whatever your family likes on sandwiches!
- Cookie sheets
- Bread knife
- 2 Large loaves of Italian or French bread (Found in the bakery section of the grocery store)
- 2 lb. Turkey cold cuts (The turkey pictured here is pepper turkey. For turkey sliced at a "2" thickness in the Deli, you will need 2 lbs. Thinner turkey, like the packaged pre-sliced kind, will go farther and you can make 1 lb. work if you want.)
- Butter, softened
- 1 lb. Shredded Mozzarella (about 4 cups)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice the bread lengthwise, to create a top half and bottom half of the loaves.
- Place both halves on a cookie sheet, cut side up.
- Spread butter over both halves.
- Arrange turkey slices on both halves of the bread.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the turkey, using about 1 cup per half-loaf of the bread.
- Place cookie sheets in the oven for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cool slightly.
- With the help of a spatula, turn the top half over onto the bottom half. Careful, its hot!
- Allow THE Sandwich to cool a few minutes, and then slice.
- Serve hot, with sliced tomatoes and lettuce if desired. Some of my people add mayo, some dip in ranch or Italian dressing.
- Note: I cut smaller slices for younger members of the family, and larger slices for big people.
We have made this ever since we went to a basketball tournament in Sharon and you passed this out for lunch!! LOVE IT!!!
Oh good!! Hi, by the way 🙂